Title
A Flexible Electronic Controller for Microwave Oven
Microcontroller technology achieves a high degree of flexibility for various microwave oven models
Technologies used

Microcontroller

Industrial sector (PRODCOM code)
    31 :Electrical Equipment
Abstract
TEKA Portuguesa, Portugal, developed a prototype microwave oven controller using micro-controller technology, in 7 months with a budget of 45,5 kEUR. TEKA Portuguesa is a household appliances producing company and has about 200 employees, 5 of them involved in electronic development. All the manufactured products are developed locally. The main markets of TEKA Portuguesa are Portugal, consuming around 58% of its production, and Spain, where the remaining 42% of its production are exported.

A micro-controller based electronic controller, that improves microwave oven operation and control, has complemented the previous electromechanical controller enlarging TEKA's microwave ovens range. The main advantages are accurate time and output power control enabling the use of complex functions such as automatic defrosting by weight.

The micro-controller adds a great flexibility to the production allowing several different software configurations (for instance, different recipes and functions for different microwave oven models or customisation for OEM clients) with the same hardware thus being extremely competitive in small production series.

The microwave oven with the new electronic controller broadens TEKA's range of products enabling the increase of the market share with a value added product.

TEKA Portuguesa acquired the ability to develop internally other versions using micro-controller technology.

The payback period of the investment will be about 9,4 months with a return on investment of 10,1%.

This application experiment is of interest for every small company producing household appliances and working with small production series requiring a high degree of flexibility.
Company
TEKA Portuguesa - Equipamentos de Cozinha, Lda
Estrada da Mota
3830 Ílhavo
PORTUGAL

Detailed information

You can also benefit from microelectronics

Microcontroller technology provided TEKA Portuguesa - Equipamentos de Cozinha, Lda with the means of improving its products and enhancing its market position. You can also achieve significant benefits by acquiring the right microelectronics technology and utilising it in your product or manufacturing process. You can get help from FUSE to realise this.

FUSE is a technology transfer programme, funded by the European Commission to stimulate the wider use of microelectronics technologies by European enterprises to increase their competitiveness and enhance their economic growth. The demonstrator described here is one of many examples in the public FUSE portfolio covering the whole spectrum of microelectronics technologies and spanning a wide range of applications and industry sectors.

FUSE provides you with:

  • Best practice in acquiring specific microelectronics technologies and conducting full development projects through the FUSE portfolio of real life demonstrator documents.
  • Local training and expert support to plan your innovation realistically and help you conduct your project successfully.

Further information and support relating to this and other demonstrators can be obtained from the addresses below.


Further information   Guiding Technology Transfer Node
For further information and support regarding this case study, please contact a Technology Transfer Node (TTN) in your region.
Homepage: http://www.fuse-network.com
INESC
Rue Alves Redol No 9-80
P-1000 Lisboa
Portugal